For School Leavers


Congratulations on completing your senior year and making it in to your university of choice.
The next biggest challenge is to find accommodation and move in before ‘O’ week (so you can relax and enjoy the festivities). Below you will find some much needed information on the best places to look for accommodation, what type of accommodation will suit you best, a brief look at budgets and what you will need before you get the keys.

Toowoomba – The University of Southern Queensland – Southern Queensland Institute of TAFE (SQIT): Chances are you will be attending one of the two tertiary schools mentioned above. These two schools are about a fifteen minute drive apart, so it is advised that if you are moving in with friends that they are attending the same school or have a car.

Most tertiary institutions have a student guild or association that can provide you with information about on-campus accommodation. If, however, you wish to get out on your own or with some friends, renting is the way to go. Within Toowoomba, there are particular suburbs that surround each tertiary institution.

USQ is surrounded by Darling Heights, Kearneys Spring, Drayton & Harristown
SQIT is surrounded by East Toowoomba, Toowoomba City & North Toowoomba

If you are from out of town, pop in to our local Visitors Information Centre located at 86 James Street (Warrego Hwy) and grab a map of Toowoomba. Or alternatively, click here for a general or more detailed map of Toowoomba.

When choosing the type of dwelling you will potentially live in for the next three years of your life, remember to keep in mind your budget. Listed below are some things to remember when doing your budget:

  • Food – tends to be a little less expensive than Brisbane, can usually survive on $50 – $100 /week
  • Transport – if you have a car, remember to factor in fluctuating fuel prices, general check ups, registration costs, etc. If you don’t have a car, finding a house near a bus stop is vitally important. The public transport system in Toowoomba consists of buses and taxis mainly. Buses run on average every hour, for a timetable, click here.
  • Utilities – these can include telephone, internet, electricity, etc. Keep in mind that there is a usual up front payment of approximately $80 for electricity and remember to ask for a monthly bill to keep from getting hit with a huge quarterly bill.
Also remember if you rent a house instead of a unit type dwelling, you will probably be expected to do your own yard work!

So now you’ve decided where you are going to live, you’ve found the perfect place and you know you can afford it. Here’s a list of what you need to do and have before you get the keys:

  • Fill out an application form IN FULL
  • Present the application form along with Drivers Licence & Proof of Income
  • Other documents and ID that we may request could be Photo identification, Written references, Tenant Ledger, Proof of last residential address
  • Two (2) weeks rent in advance
  • Bond – Four (4) weeks rent

If you have all this, what are you waiting for??? Go ahead and click here to apply online for your dream uni pad.

Back to Top ↑